Problems with Gst.Buffer.map and Gst.Memory.map

dayunbao dayunbao at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 15:00:19 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

After a fair amount of troubleshooting, I believe the problem I've been
having is related to the map() function that both the buffer and memory
class have.  I've tried using two different pipelines.  This one:

v4l2src -> videorate -> queue -> identity -> jpegenc -> queue -> jifmux ->
multifilesink

and this one:

                                                              queue ->
jpegenc -> queue -> jifmux -> multifilesink
                                                          /
v4l2src -> videorate -> queue -> tee
                                                         \
                                                             queue ->
appsink

but the same problem is happening in both pipelines.  When either the
identity plugin's handoff signal is fired, or when appsink's new_sample
signal is emitted, I grab the data from the buffer, and send it over a
socket to another process to process the data.  At the moment, I'm simply
displaying the data received by the second process as an image (using
OpenCV), and I often times get images like the one attached below.
*However, the JPEGs that are written to file by the multifilesink are fine.*
So, the problem must be with the map functions.  I've tried calling map() on
the data using a buffer object and a memory object inside of both the
identity handoff and appsink callback functions, but I get the same results.
So, does anyone know if there is a known problem with those functions in
Python?  Is there an alternative to map()?  This is a project at work, and
I've been stuck on it for a few days now, and need to make some progress, or
decide if I'm going to have to use a tool other than GStreamer.  I'm using
GStreamer version 1.6.3 on Linux, by the way.

<http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683257/problemImage.png>