Avoiding stall in a transcoding pipeline - how?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Jun 11 20:15:30 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I have a transcoding pipeline that consists of a decodebin that is dynamically wired into an encodebin. When there is only video accepted by encodebin, the pipeline works fine. When both video and audio are accepted by encodebin, the pipeline stalls.

Sometimes the stall is almost immediate, sometimes the stall happens after minutes, rarely the pipeline will stall after some hours.

The source for the pipeline is a live DVB stream, complete with errors, discontinuities, glitches, you name it - real life dirty data.

Can anyone explain to me what elements need to be in the audio and video pipelines that will prevent the pipeline from stalling when dirty data is being processed?

What specifically do these elements do that causes the stall to be prevented?

(I am specifically after the HOW to avoid anti-stall. Google is crammed full of recommendations of various pipelines to try, but none of them explain how they work, or even if they’re correct).

Regards,
Graham
—