Vaapidecode Format and OpenGL

Zelnes mehdi.ghesh at hotmail.fr
Mon Jun 12 10:02:53 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decode and play a video using vaapidecode plugin. I follow
this pipeline :
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/home/perso/video.mp4 ! qtdemux !
vaapidecode ! appsink

When I use autovideosink, the video is correctly played, and the CPU usage
is very low (about 15%). The video is H264 encoded, and has a UHD definition
(the screen is also UHD, that's why CPU usage is important).

Now, in my code, I don't know why I can't paint anything. Actually,
according to `gst-inspect-1.0 vaapidecode`, it has several kind of pad caps,
but I can't figure out which one is used. I think that if I knew which one
is used, I could set correctly the buffer type on SDL side. Do you know how
to get this value or how to change it ?
I'd like to be able to print "format used is : YV12", or "RGBA"

You will find attached to this post my code that tries to run a Window in
which the video should be displayed.

Also, can anyone explain me what is exactly a GstSample ? I've seen it used
as the buffer, but there's also the GstBuffer type. I'm a little bit
confused

Thanks!