Problem installing GStreamer-vaapi

Víctor M. Jáquez L. vjaquez at igalia.com
Wed Jun 14 11:05:48 UTC 2017

On 06/13/17 at 06:36pm, Hyunjun Ko wrote:
> Zelnes wrote
> > I'm coming back with bad news...
> > Actually, I don't really have 1.12 working. I mean, when I installed it
> > first, and told you it was okay, I hadn't reboot the computer yet. And
> > when I did it, I couldn't get the screen working, I was unable to access
> > the Desktop, but only ttys. So I backup-ed my packets to get the screen
> > working good, but it uninstalled 1.12 for 1.8 again.
> > Finally, I deal with a loop, because whenever I try to purge three
> > libgstreamers packets, it tries to purge also a bunch of others packets,
> > and if it is not purged, I can't expect to install 1.12 version. I've just
> > fail, I tried to uninstall the old version, listing every packets that
> > shouldn't be purged, then install gstreamer 1.12 (with Base, Good, Bad an
> > Vaapi plugins) and install back listed packets. Unfortunately, once done,
> > Gstreamer 1.8 was back, instead of 1.12 !
> >
> > Do you have any clue on what's going on ?

Compiling gstreamer in general, and gstreamer-vaapi in particular, might a bit
tricky because all the dependencies, either at compilation time and at run
time. You must to keep in mind them while tinkering with them.

What Hyunjun said is a way to simplify a development environment for
gstreamer. You can find more info here:

https://arunraghavan.net/2014/07/quick-start-guide-to-gst-uninstalled-1-x/

> Hmm, maybe you should try to build all gstreamer projects and use it without
> installation.
> There's a simple way provided by gstreamer.
> Note that this is going to pull out the master of gstreamer.
>
> Here's the step:
> 1. Pull and build all gstreamer projects
>   1) Download the script
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/plain/scripts/create-uninstalled-setup.sh
>
>   2) Modify the script to add gstreamer-vaapi
>   In line 46:
>   from MODULES="gstreamer gst-plugins-base gst-plugins-good gst-plugins-ugly
> gst-plugins-bad gst-libav"
>   to  MODULES="gstreamer gst-plugins-base gst-plugins-good gst-plugins-ugly
> gst-plugins-bad gst-libav gstreamer-vaapi"
>
>   3) Run the script
>    # sh ./create-uninstalled-setup.sh ( which creates ~/gst directory by
> default )
>
>   4) Get into the gst-uninstalled shell and build all
>    # ~/gst/gst-master ( by default )
>    # cd <MODULE>; ./autogen.sh; make
>    ( First gstreamer, then gst-plugins-base, then the other modules.
>      You do NOT need to do 'make install' )
>
> 2. Test
>  Once step 1 is all done, you should verify if it's built perfectly on
> gst-uninstalled shell.
>  # gst-inspect-1.0 --version : this should print out "1.13"

The problem with version 1.13 is it's a development one. Which means it might
be broken some days or hours, since it's changing constantly.

Instead of creating a symbolic link called gst-master, create it named
gst-1.12 and the script is smart enough to compile the release 1.12