Plans to support AV1 video codec?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sun Jun 25 16:53:18 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-06-25 at 08:45 -0400, Aaron Boxer wrote:
> The sad thing about this new codec is that after the inventor of part
> of the encoder helped
> Google for 3 years to integrate his algorithm with AV1, they are now
> trying to patent his invention:

AFAIU that says that Google applied for a patent. So this generally
needs more context to say anything, but keep in mind that Google also
supposedly owns patents related to VP8/9/10 (which it got together with
On2 back then), but it grants a free (etc) patent license for every use
(see the libvpx license for details/accurate wording). In theory for
AV1 this could also be for defensive measures. Who knows? They should
really clarify that somewhere though.

However I doubt that they plan to make AV1 useless (could as well use
HEVC then) considering how much time and effort they put into it.