low fps for 4k video when videorate element is in place

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Jun 26 21:10:17 UTC 2017

Le lundi 26 juin 2017 à 16:36 -0400, mehdi semsarzadeh a écrit :
> appsrc name=videoSrc format=3 stream-type=0 ! video/x-raw,
> format=(string)UYVY, width=3840, height=2160 ! videorate
> name=videorate0 ! video/x-raw, framerate=30/1 !nvvidconv
> name=videoConvert ! video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=I420 !
> omxh264enc name=h264enc  ! video/x-h264, stream-format=byte-stream !
> appsink name=appsink0
>
> As I run the pipeline, fps starts dropping and eventually it goes
> under 1.
> When I remove the "videorate" element fps stays around 11.
> I have set the "skip-to-first" property of videorate to true in my
> code, is there any other setting that I missing for "videorate"
> element?
> Any idea, about the cause of this issue?

You should profile to figure-out the bottleneck. Probably that the
videorate duplicates the frames to compensate your code producing two
slow (as documented by you, 11fps) which cause high overhead in
nvvidconv and omxh264enc. Why do you want videorate in the first place
? How do you timestamp on the appsrc ? Do you need to run this pipeline
with synchronization if you know it's not real time anyways ?

Additionally to that, for nvvidconv, please communicate with the plugin
provider for help (I believe Nvidia ?).

Nicolas