Textoverlay questions

William Salibrici bsalibrici at latticeinc.com
Wed Jun 28 18:19:10 UTC 2017

Nicolas,
Thank you for your reply.
I am using the following pipeline [in C code] to display streaming text. In a separate thread, I push text buffers once every second to appsrc using gst_app_src_push_buffer. I use gst_buffer_new_allocate to create the text buffers and gst_buffer_fill to set the actual text to be displayed. I correctly set the buffer timestamps and the buffer durations are set to 1 second.

appsrc caps="text/x-raw" ! capsfilter caps="text/x-raw,format=utf8" ! txt.

videotestsrc pattern=white !

textoverlay name=txt ! autovideosink

This pipeline runs just fine and the streaming text updates are 1 second apart just like I want them to be.
However, there is a memory leak somewhere – not good! I have confirmed that when I stop pushing buffers to appsrc, the memory leaks also stop.
According to the appsrc documentation, the gst_app_src_push_buffer function takes ownership of the buffer so I’m not doing unref after I push the buffer. It appears that the textoverlay element is not releasing the text buffers after it displays the text. I ran one test for over an hour and the memory just kept slowly growing. When I stop the pipeline I see the memory being put back.
I tried setting GST_DEBUG="GST_TRACER:7" and GST_TRACERS="leaks(GstBuffer)" and running my test app in a command window but the tracing didn’t seem to work. I got no trace output. My test thread has gst_init at the beginning and gst_deinit at the end. My development machine is windows 7 and I’m using GStreamer 1.10.4 with your windows pre-built binaries.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Bill