Cross-platform video sink on top of SDL

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sat Mar 11 16:15:38 UTC 2017

Le samedi 11 mars 2017 à 12:45 +0200, Yuriy Volkov a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I want to build a cross-platform video sink on top of SDL. Are there
> any guides/best practices to follow so that the resulting plugin
> would be considered of "good" quality? I thought about using
> GstVideoSink as a base class and implementing GstNavigation and
> GstVideoOverlay interfaces.

Refer to existing sync. Ideally, your sink should:

- Best effort to reduce memory copies
- Support GstVideoMeta
- If scaling, maintain proper aspect ratio / add black bars
- Integrate well in existing application

SDL though has multiple rendering method. I'd be extra careful in the
naming, I believe you could easily consider having multiple sinks,
sdlsink (for RGB), sdloverlaysink (for YCbCr) and sdlglsink when using
GL overlays.

regards,
Nicolas