Fast decode h264 stream, keyframes only.

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sun Mar 12 14:01:23 UTC 2017

Le 11 mars 2017 2:59 PM, "Tim Müller" <tim at centricular.com> a écrit :

On Sat, 2017-03-11 at 11:20 -0500, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:

> > Can gstreamer fast decode h264/5 steam and return only keyframes?
> > That would be usefull for opencv processing  of live streams.
>
> I believe this should work in recent version with the
> GST_SEEK_FLAG_KEY_UNIT. Pause you streamr, and then operate a
> flushing seek with this flag set.

You probably meant GST_SEEK_FLAG_TRICKMODE_KEY_UNITS ? :)

Yes thanks.

Question is, what does one do when seeking is not supported? In that
case one would have to add a pad probe on the decoder sink pad or
parser src pad or so and drop all frames that are flagged as delta
units via the buffer flags or such.

I'm wondering if a generic property on the base class could also work? Is
there any format known to not work without the deltas?

Theoretically a seek without start/stop position change to just change
the flags should work too, but I wouldn't bet on it :)

Cheers
 -Tim