Gstreamer and GLib Mainloop

Roland Peffer gdevel at clixxun.com
Fri Mar 17 06:47:28 UTC 2017

I can confirm that  GLib mainloop is only required for the gst_bus_add_watch().
Instead of using gst_bus_add_watch you have to poll messages from the the bus “on your own”.

Regards,
Roland

Was there a point when it was required?  The GLib mainloop seems to be used in every code sample I've ever seen involving a playing pipeline (in the gstreamer app developer manual for example and elsewhere).  Is the mainloop only needed for the bus watch API?