Add images before and after video stream

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Mar 27 19:25:32 UTC 2017

Le dimanche 26 mars 2017 à 23:43 -0700, Ormi a écrit :
> I have an idea to make pipeline for making videos from conferences.
> I already have a pipeline which can link 2 videos altogether in one frame,
> one video of speaker, one video of slides and also small image of
> presentation topic.
> But What I am thinking next is link one intro picture before the video and
> one after the video. So far I couldn't find any references about this in
> gstreamer.
> My idea is like 5 seconds of one intro picture, then video playback (55
> second) and the one last final picture of references for example 5 seconds.
>
> Does anybody have an idea if it is possible, to add this capabilities to my
> pipeline?

Unlike the previous answer, this is possible. If you are doing this
work in post-processing, then you should probably use gst-editing-
services library (or PiTiVi GUI).

For live, recording, you'll have to use the layers in compositor (or
glvideomixer). Create a base layer with the fixed image. Let that run
for 5 seconds, as it's live, the one image should be used over and over
by the compositor. You'll have to use "identity sync=1" to make it
live, and you'll need a pad probe that drop EOS here. Then link the
other videos on top, to completely occlude the intro image. When you
know that images have started passing through the other video (some
sort of custom preroll), you can discard that pad to avoid the extra
overhead. Later on, before you stop the video, do the opposite. Add a
an occluded final picture, and remove the other video streams (which
will make the final image show up.

It's a bit difficult but totally feasible unlike what Ronit Zagade
pretend. I haven't think through this method, there is likely few
shortcuts I didn't think about, or more optimization.

regards,
Nicolas