introduction and a few questions

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 00:54:04 UTC 2017

hi all
My name is Kendell Clark, and I've been a gnu/linux user since august of
2011. I am part of the vinux distribution, as a developer and also work
in user support. I've subscribed to this list because I love the idea of
gstreamer, of a unified multimedia framework that supports most audio
and video formats, as well as cover art and so on, out of the box. I
want to try to help, although I should say up front that I cannot code.
Not yet anyway. I'm trying to learn python, and if that's successful
I'll branch out to c or c++, not sure which yet. I'm trying to help a
couple of people on the accessibility group's irc channel at
irc.netwirc.tk #a11y to integrate support for most video game music
formats into gstreamer. There's a github package which has the file
format details at http://github.com/kode54/vgstreamer. I do not know
what the procedure is to get new formats added into gstreamer, so if I'm
jumping to conclusions please don't hesitate to let me know. As far as I
know, which isn't much, none of these formats have any copyright or
patent issues, though of course I don't know a lot about these audio and
video formats. I have helped add the audible audio format into the
freedesktop shared mime database, and would like to, if possible, add
support for at least the older unencrypted format, which is really mp3
files with some header info, and hard coded to one channel, 32 kbps, at
2250 hurtz, into the gstreamer framework. Is there any interest in
either the vgstreamer formats or the audible formats? I'll be happy to
file  feature requests, work with people, read documentation, whatever
it takes to help, I do not expect things to be done for me. I'm a casual
gamer, so gstreamer support for both of these would greatly increase
linux's capacity as a gaming os, although it is fine as one now.
Basically me being a bit OCD.
Thanks and sorry for the barrage of questions, I can go on if I don't
limit myself.
Kendell Clark

--
Kendell Lee clark
Package maintainer, software tester, image builder