replacing rtph264pay with appsink and live555 streamer, for live video streaming

mehdi semsarzadeh m.semsar at gmail.com
Wed May 3 16:15:25 UTC 2017

Dear All,

I want to stream live video, by directly passing the output of video
encoder (NAL units) to live555.
Here is the pipeline that I am using:
gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc ! x264enc ! video/x-h264, stream-format=avc
! appsink  caps="video/x-h264, stream-format=avc"
and then I have a callback function connected to "new-sample" signal and
sends any coming packet to Live555.

Currently, the delivered rtp packets to other end are not streamable and as
I checked with wireshark the nal_unit_type is unspecified for all packets.

Is there anything that I am missing here?

In other words, the following similar pipeline works fine. So what happens
between x264enc and rtph264pay that I should consider in my design?

gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc ! x264enc ! video/x-h264, stream-format=avc
! rtph264pay pt=96 ! udpsink host=[IP_ADDRESS] port=5000

Thanks