Video stuttering while playing with PCM External I/O plugin

Rajesh srajesh5 at visteon.com
Tue May 9 07:30:42 UTC 2017

logs.7z <http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/n4682958/logs.7z>
HI,
We are working on an infotainment program where we are using gstreamer 1.0
to playback video from USB.We are observing video stuttering during
playback.
In our implementaion we are having External I/O plugin to get the audio from
the pipe and then write it into the hardware port(ESAI).When we create a
pipe with External I/O plugin we see
stuttering in the video, but if we use the default sink video plays
smoothly.We are not very clear on what is that we are missing in our
External I/O plugin implementation.

We have tried few things with interesting observations before putting
forward to you for help.

1. We tried playing with playbin and that worked fine for default sink not
with External I/O plugin.
2. With some modification to our pipeline we are able to play video without
issues with default sink and not with External I/O plugin.
3. We tried running the gst pipe as realtime priority 1, video plays fine
with External I/O plugin, which is not the case with default,it runs ok with
normal priority.

*Our system configuration:*
Operating system : Linux 4.1.15
Gstreamer : 1.6.3

*Pipeline :*

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/tmp/usb/Pachhai_Thee_hd.mp4 !
'video/quicktime' ! aiurdemux name=demux demux. ! queue
max-size-bytes=2097152 max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! h264parse !
imxvpudec ! streamsynchronizer name=synch synch. ! queue max-size-buffers=3
max-size-time=0 max-size-bytes=0 ! videoconvert qos=true ! videoscale
qos=true ! imxeglvivsink ivi-surfaceid= 110 force-aspect-ratio=0
window-width=800 window-height=480 max-lateness=40000000 qos=true sync=true
demux. ! queue max-size-bytes=2097152 max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 !
beepdec tolerance=40000000 ! synch. synch. ! queue ! audioconvert !
audioresample ! 'audio/x-raw,rate=48000,channels=2'! alsasink
device=route_media_sink qos=true sync=true &

*asoundconf :*

*ESAI TX:*

pcm_slave.esaitx {
        pcm esai_hw
        format S16_LE
        rate 48000
        channels 16
#		period_time 13500
	period_size 480
#		buffer_time 109000
	buffer_size 1# ESAI RX SLAVE
pcm_slave.esairx {
        pcm esai_hw
        format S16_LE
        rate 48000
        channels 24
        period_time 5804  # period_size 256
        buffer_time 92879 # buffer_size 4096
}
9200
}

*External I/O plugin:*

 # "Virtual" virtualalsa sound device named "route_media_sink"
pcm.media_sink {
    type virtualalsa        # Use  pcm plugin for ALSA
    shm_name "/tmp/vats_media0_source"
    period_bytes 2048
    buffer_bytes 8192 #32768
	channels 2
}

pcm.route_media_sink {
    type plug           # use ALSA software conversions ("plug" PCM plugin)
    slave.pcm media_sink
    slave.rate 48000
}

*Log:*