Lossless end-to-end 16-bit grayscale compression?

nh4cl govindnh4cl at gmail.com
Fri May 12 19:45:46 UTC 2017

Hi Ryan, Thanks for your posts.
Could you please explain what you meant by "*The conversion from
GRAY16_LE->I420 seems to be lossless*"? The GRAY16 is just one plane with
each pixel being 16-bit, whereas I420 is Luma followed by two sub-sampled
Chroma planes with 8-bit per component (12-bit per pixel). You should be
loosing the lower 8-bit of your GRAY16_LE content in this conversion.