Streaming of video from grayscale 16 bits lossless

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue May 23 13:08:52 UTC 2017

rtpvrawpay only supports the color formats defined in RFC 4175 [1],
which does not include GRAY8, or GRAY16_LE/BE. I found another RFC
4421 [2] which adds a few other RGB formats, but nothing about
grayscale.

If you're only streaming between your own services, you can payload
GStreamer buffers using rtpgstpay. Don't forget this will be very
demanding on your network depending on your resolution and framerate.

[1]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4175
[2]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4421