tee and videomixer for side-by-side video on Raspberry Pi 3

dariuskrail blackgrail2000 at hotmail.com
Thu May 25 13:25:37 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I am a gstreamer newbie.  I am trying to use the Raspberry Pi 3 to create a
side-by-side (SBS) display video playback, where there is a video stream for
the left and right side. Below is my pipeline that I have used. I split the
decoded h264 stream with a tee and connected them to the sinks of the
videomixer to have both streams displayed on the left and right side.

gst-launch-1.0 -v -m --gst-debug=3 \
    videomixer name=mix sink_0::xpos=0 sink_0::ypos=0 sink_1::xpos=760
sink_1::ypos=0 !  videoconvert ! glvideosink sync=false \
    filesrc location=bbb_sunflower_720p_24fps_equal.mp4 ! qtdemux name=demux
\
    demux.video_0 ! h264parse ! omxh264dec ! tee name=t \
    t.src_0 ! queue ! mix.sink_0 \
    t.src_1 ! queue ! mix.sink_1 \
    demux.audio_0 ! queue ! aacparse ! faad ! alsasink

While I did get a SBS playback of the video, the FPS is really low at only
about ~13FPS. If I set sync=true, it drops further to just ~10FPS, as
indicated by fpsdisplaysink. I have tested with a single full HD video at
1920x1080, and the playback with audio was much smoother than a SBS playback
of a 720x720 MP4 video with the above pipeline.

Could there be an issue with my pipeline or anything else?

Also to note, I am using a RPi3 with the GStreamer package 1.4.4. I have
recompiled the gst-plugins-bad-1.4.4 source with GLES2 and EGL enabled for
hardware acceleration for the glimagesink element.