tee and videomixer for side-by-side video on Raspberry Pi 3

dariuskrail blackgrail2000 at hotmail.com
Mon May 29 15:17:30 UTC 2017

I think you are right about the mem-copies between the system and video
memory for videomixer. With the above pipeline, I get ~13fps but the CPU
usage is rather high for gst-launch-1.0 at about 50% in as shown in top.
Perhaps much of the CPU is used for memory copy operations here.

Then, I replaced the videomixer element with glvideomixer. The frame rate
was actually even lower at only about ~6fps. However, the CPU usage was
significantly reduced to about 15%. I am not sure why, but could the GPU
here be occupied doing the video decoding with the omxh264dec element that
it is not able to to process the glvideomixer element quick enough, hence
the low fps and the lower CPU usage?

And is there anything else I could try to get a better fps rate?