Using GstAppSrc source leads to jerky sound on OpenSuSE 43.2 (PulseAudio)

George Yunaev gyunaev at ulduzsoft.com
Wed Nov 22 07:52:42 UTC 2017

Hi all,

When playing sound from GstAppSrc, seekable stream, my application
sounds weird on my machine. Sound is played only half of each second;
the other half no sound is played.

No error messages of any kind are printed in the console.

I assumed that it was due to some kind of strange input buffer underrun,
so I rewrote the application pushing buffers in a separate thread
indefinitely (ignoring enough-data). It fills it up fully even before
the sound is heard, but the output is the same - jerky sound which turns
off every half seconds.

The same pipeline plays regular music files from disk (opened through
'url' source) fine.

If needed, the player source is here:
https://github.com/gyunaev/spivak/blob/master/src/mediaplayer.cpp - it
handles both video and audio and thus is pretty complex. in
setupSource() the audio sink is set up, and the callbacks read the data
from QIODevice.

Thank you in advance!

--
With best regards, George.