Why use g_main_loop when writing an application

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Oct 3 13:37:08 UTC 2017

Le lundi 02 octobre 2017 à 22:39 -0700, Arvin6 a écrit :
> Since we can just call the apis and do whatever we want, why should we bind
> things to this context to main loop? I'm pretty new to GStreamer, any input
> would be appreciated.

If we often use the main loop, it's for simplicity, or to blend with
other GLib oriented library. A main loop is a serialization mechanism
which allow reducing the amount of thread. GStreamer does not require a
main loop, but if you don't enable that, you should poll the GstBus and
pop events from it, so it does not become full.

Nicolas