CODA VPU initialization failure with Gstreamer

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 20:25:14 UTC 2017

Hi João,

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 10:59 AM, João Rodrigues <JRodrigues at milenio3.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to use GStreamer in an iMX.6 SoC with the mainline kernel
> (4.13.x), with the aid of the CODA vpu driver.
>
> Although, when i run gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file:///home/root/test.mp4,
> i always get the following kernel message:
>
> [  386.336530] coda 2040000.vpu: CODA_COMMAND_SEQ_INIT timeout
>
> I have tried various things by now, but was never able to generate an
> output.
>
> I can only generate an output on my screen with gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc
> ! autovideosink (fbdevsink also works)
>
> Looking forward for a solution
>
> Extra debug info:
>
> CODA is initialized properly by the kernel;
>
> the sink used by gstreamer is imxg2dvideosink (Which i think it is one of
> the sources of the issue)

You should use kmssink instead.

> CMA memory is set to 64MB (320 MB does not fix it)

I tried cma=128M on my tests.

> Gstreamer ver - 1.8.0
>

> In the meantime I have tried with GStreamer 1.12, same results

Today I managed to get Gstreamer 1.12.2 to work on imx6 with kernel 4.13.

I learned that we currently have some issues when the video file and
display resolutions do not match.

Then I tried playing a full HD video clip on a full HD HDMI screen.

Used this video sample from here:
http://linode.boundarydevices.com/videos/trailer_1080p_h264_mp3.avi

and this is the pipeline that worked:

# gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/root/trailer_1080p_h264_mp3.avi !
avidemux ! \
h264parse ! v4l2video1dec capture-io-mode=dmabuf ! kmssink connector-id=37    \
name=imx-drm sync=0

On my case I had to pass the 'connector-id' property to tell Gstreamer
that the output is the HDMI port instead of LVDS.

You can run 'modetest' command to know the connector id in case you
have multiple display ports.

Do you have an HDMI output on your board, so that you can run the same test?