Newbie trying to set up windows gstreamer build environment

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Oct 11 04:32:36 UTC 2017

Hi!
I've built recent gstreamer on linux and mac, and now I'd like to do
it on windows (64 bit win 10).

Ideally, I'd like to do it with Visual C++'s commandline tools and
ninja :-) but I'll do it with whatever's easiest.

Looking at https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/installing/building-from-source-using-cerbero.html
it recommends "Msys/MinGW (Install it with all the options enabled)"
and links to https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
Well, ok, that offers an "Installer", so I downloaded and ran
https://astuteinternet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mingw/Installer/mingw-get-setup.exe
and used its 'list' verb... but didn't see any 64 bit tools.  I tried
using it to
install gcc, but building hello world yielded a 32 bit program. -m64
didn't help.

Looking at https://mingw-w64.org/doku.php/download I see that the only
distribution that seems to come with modern gcc is msys2, so
I went to https://mingw-w64.org/doku.php/download/msys2
(which just linked to http://www.msys2.org/ ) and
tried that out.  I was able to install the environment, but not gcc.

Is it me, or is the doc on how to get a cerbero gstreamer build
environment on windows a little incomplete?

Thanks,
Dan