GStreamer and Rust

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Sep 2 08:49:41 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 16:36 +0300, Sebastian Dröge wrote:

[…]
> Apart from not using GtkApplication, there should be nothing wrong
> with
> them. And there are many examples using GtkApplication too :)

Mostly written by you and me I suspect. :-)

> What makes you think they are otherwise from the wrong era?

The Main.init()…Main.run() approach was the only way of working in
GTK+2 and still works in GTK+3 (and I assume GTK+4). However the
idiomatic way of writing Gtk::Application based applications has
changed – we have a new era for Gtk application structure. Most of the
gtk-rs examples are applications but not using the application idiom,
thus from the wring era.

[…]
> What exactly are you looking for? Using the GStreamer MPEG-TS library
> API? There are no bindings for that library yet. So far I only have
> basically all of GStreamer core, app and player, and important parts
> of
> the video and audio libraries here:
>   https://github.com/sdroege/gstreamer-rs
>
> If you need bindings for the MPEG-TS library, someone will have to
> write/autogenerate them first :) I'm not going to do that anytime
> soon,
> there are too many other things on my todo list that are more
> interesting/important for me. I'd be happy to accept a pull request
> for
> that though.

In the C++ code, in order to use the mpegts stuff implicit in using the
dvbsrc stuff, you have to call gst_mpegts_initialize(). As far as I am
aware I only use GStreamer API to load and run playbin with the dvbsrc
plugin which implies no need for an API outside the standard API. So
everything I need should be there already except for the initialisation
call. Assuming I remember my C++ code correctly, and am correctly
interpreting the situation!

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk