Gstreamer time shift pipeline

pchaurasia pchaurasia at gameloreinc.com
Tue Sep 12 05:57:05 UTC 2017

Hi Folks,

After spending some time on this - I think I would like to seek some ideas.

1. I interacted with Fluendo folks, their time-shift element works only with
'live' streams, and would need some customization for working with prestored
videos.

2. I am thinking of developing a simple time shift app. It would read
camera, encode , store video in mp4 file, read back the same file, and
decode.

a) I am looking to construct such a pipeline, my first attempt was - ( I am
working on Jetson Tx2) - to make a simple encode pipeline , followed by
deocde. Like the command line below, which does not work, I am still quoting
it here to illustrate my point/aim.

gst-launch-1.0 -e nvcamerasrc fpsRange="30.0 30.0" !
'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), width=(int)1920, height=(int)1080,
format=(string)I420, framerate=(fraction)30/1' ! omxh265enc ! 'video/x-h265,
stream-format=(string)byte-stream' ! h265parse ! matroskamux ! filesink
location=/home/ubuntu/junk.mkv  filesrc location=/home/ubuntu/junk.mkv !
decodebin ! nvoverlaysink -e

b) When I try encode, followed by decode without file - it seems to work ,
however there are lots of frame drops and jerks.

gst-launch-1.0 -e nvcamerasrc fpsRange="30.0 30.0" !
'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), width=(int)1920, height=(int)1080,
format=(string)I420, framerate=(fraction)30/1' ! omxh265enc ! 'video/x-h265,
stream-format=(string)byte-stream' ! h265parse ! matroskamux ! decodebin !
nvoverlaysink -e

What would be right way to encode --> to a file --> read from the same file
--> decode --> feed to opencv pipe ?

What is best way to write and read from the same file concurrently using
gstreamer pipe ?

How could I feed multiple files generated by hlssink to decoder element in
subsequent part of gstreamer pipeline ? Would the decoderbin element, not
complain if a data from file_00 is interrupted midway and later supplied
from file_01 ?

Thanks