Videotestsrc, input-selector and Segfaults.

Eric M bigmarkslp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 00:33:16 UTC 2017

I'm using a pair of videotestsrc elements to simulate some other sources
while doing some testing on the Pi3 (On Raspbian Stretch, Gstreamer 1.10).

I noticed that when setting the following pipeline (See below) to playing in
a C program, it will sometimes (about 10 out of 11 times) cause a segfault.
It does not appear to cause a segfault if launched from gst-launch-1.0 (but
I can't use the input-selector there), and it does not seem to cause a
segfault if I specify format=RGB for both videotestsrc elements.  The
segfault also goes away if I replace one videotestsrc with a different
element like a udpsrc.  If the pipeline launches successfully, it will work
perfectly.

The segfaults will still occur if this pipeline is simplified, although they
do seem to happen more rarely.  It's hard to pin down exactly what causes
it.

I'm curious, is specifying a format when using input-selector an requirement
that I overlooked?  Or is more likely something going wrong during
negotiation and forcing the format just happens to fix it?

"videotestsrc pattern=black !
video/x-raw,width=320,height=240,framerate=10/1 ! queue ! videoin.
videotestsrc ! video/x-raw,width=640,height=480,framerate=10/1 ! queue !
videorate ! video/x-raw,framrate=10/1 ! videoscale !
video/x-raw,width=320,height=240 ! queue ! videoin. input-selector
name=videoin ! textoverlay vertical-render=true  shaded-background=true
valignment=center line-alignment=center halignment=center font-desc=\"DejaVu
Sans Mono,48\" name=textinput ! videoflip method=2 ! videoconvert !
fbdevsink device=/dev/fb1"