gst-launch stalls on gstreamer 1.10.4 for MP4 files and video-sink = appsink

nalini vishnoi nalinivishnoi at yahoo.co.in
Thu Apr 19 18:38:18 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,
I am having trouble using gst-launch on Debian 9 (Gstreamer version 1.10.4) with MP4 files. I have experienced the same issue in Ubuntu 18.04 Beta version as well. I do not experience these issues with Gstreamer version 1.4.4.I have uploaded a couple of sample files here:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QQ2KngjAXluFD-woOeRVcP2cQib6H62u
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15xZ1wcuQBN7pPxU7Ru08hSR7YagUQV6w
The command I execute is:gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file://xylophone.mp4 video-sink=appsink
I get: Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...Pipeline is PREROLLING ...Redistribute latency...Redistribute latency...Pipeline is PREROLLED ...Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...New clock: GstSystemClock
The system stalls at that point and when I debug using GDB, I get the following stack trace:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ipbmIS3VsIVKIj4ZxKkim0CHVMgsOU85

After that when I execute Ctrl+C, I see the following on the screen:^C handling interrupt.Interrupt: Stopping pipeline ...Execution ended after 0:02:39.636421528Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Again the system stalls and the stack trace looks like:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MzKpg-eIKCZQhs7fkGoFmB3L0t-72GUw

I have to hit Ctrl+C again to get out of the execution.

Please note that the following commands work fine:gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri= file://xylophone.mp4
gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file://xylophone.mp4 video-sink=xvimagesink

The above means default video-sink (which is screen) and xvimagesink (screen renderer) works fine but appsink stalls. Even video-sink=fakesink works.
My application requires reading frame data and hence I use appsink to access those decoded buffers.
I would very much appreciate if someone can help me with this issue.
Thanks,Nalini