How do gstreamer interfaces with H264 hardware encoders and creates videos ?

simon.zz at yahoo.com simon.zz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 18:01:29 UTC 2018

Hello,
I am using an embedded board which has an hardware H264 encoder and I am testing video generation both with gst-launch and with a C++ code wrote by my self.
Comparing my code results to the gst-launch results, it is clear and obvious that gstreamer applies additional processing compared to what I get from the hardware encoder buffer.The first obvious processing is that it generates an mp4 video, while I can only generate an h264 video, but I am not using additional mp4 demux in my code.

For example, the gst-launch resulting video image's quality it's quiet better, the video has the correct framerate rather than the video I obtain which results slightly "accelerated", and in addtition, the time-stap (minutes - seconds) is present while in the video I obtain from my C++ code it's not.
So I suspect that gstreamer doesn't use the hardware encoder.How can I be sure that gstreamer uses the hardware encoder instead of a h264 software library and how can I know in real time what are the V4L2 settings that gstreamer applies to the encoder ?
Thanks.Regards,Simon