gstreamer does not find appsink

ClayMontgomery clay at montgomery1.com
Tue Aug 7 01:47:53 UTC 2018

Hello,

   I'm trying to understand how to resolve a problem where simple gstreamer
pipelines fail because appsink is not found. It's required by the OpenCV
VideoCapture class on Linux systems. The failing pipelines are:

   videotestsrc ! videoconvert ! appsink
   imxv4l2videosrc device=/dev/video0 ! videoconvert ! appsink

 I am using gstreamer 1.0 on an open embedded linux environment I built with
Yocto 2.3.4. I can see that the appsink module is installed (twice) here:

		/usr/lib/libgstapp-1.0.so.0
		/usr/lib/libgstapp-1.0.so.0.1004.0
		/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstapp-1.0.so.0.1004.0
		/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstapp-1.0.so.0

Even gst-inspect fails to find appsink on my target system:

gst-inspect-1.0 appsink
     No such element or plugin 'appsink'

However, other sinks, like fakesink, are found and gst-inspect-1.0 does find
appsink on my Ubuntu system, so I guess it must not be installed correctly
on my target system, but how to resolve this?

I would really appreciate any advice on how to resolve this.

Thanks, Clay Montgomery