gst-build 1.14 on Ubuntu 16.04 isn't working for me

David Ing ding at panopto.com
Wed Aug 22 15:53:20 UTC 2018

After Carl's suggestion I executed the following ...

sudo apt install --yes gobject-introspection libglib2.0-dev

... and I get further but I am now blocked by this error:

subprojects/gstreamer/gst/meson.build:272:4: ERROR:  gobject-introspection
dependency was not found, gir cannot be generated.

Here is the full terminal output:

ding at ding-linux-01:~/github/gstreamer/gst-build$ *meson build && ninja -C
build/*
The Meson build system
Version: 0.47.1
Source dir: /home/ding/github/gstreamer/gst-build
Build dir: /home/ding/github/gstreamer/gst-build/build
Build type: native build
Project name: All GStreamer modules
Project version: 1.14.2
Native C compiler: cc (gcc 7.3.0 "cc (Ubuntu 7.3.0-16ubuntu3) 7.3.0")
Build machine cpu family: x86_64
Build machine cpu: x86_64
Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/pkg-config (0.29.1)
Dependency libavfilter found: NO
Message: WARNING: gst-libav not built as ffmpeg >= n3.1.2 not found on the
system
Dependency libva found: NO
Message: WARNING: not building gstreamer-vaapi module, missing libva
Dependency json-glib-1.0 found: NO
Message: WARNING: not building gst-devtools module, missing glib-json-1.0
Dependency libxml-2.0 found: NO
Message: WARNING: not building gst-editing-services module, missing
libxml-2.0
Compiler for language cs not found.
Message: WARNING: Not building gstreamer-sharp as no CS compiler found.
Message: Building subprojects: gstreamer, gst-plugins-base,
gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-ugly, gst-plugins-bad, gst-rtsp-server

|Executing subproject gstreamer
|
|Project name: gstreamer
|Project version: 1.14.2
|Native C compiler: cc (gcc 7.3.0 "cc (Ubuntu 7.3.0-16ubuntu3) 7.3.0")
|WARNING: -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions looks like a linker argument, but
has_argument and other similar methods only support checking compiler
arguments. Using them to check linker arguments are never supported, and
results are likely to be wrong regardless of the compiler you are using.
has_link_argument or other similar method can be used instead.
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -fvisibility=hidden: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -fno-strict-aliasing: YES
|Has header "dlfcn.h": YES
|Has header "inttypes.h": YES
|Has header "memory.h": YES
|Has header "poll.h": YES
|Has header "stdint.h": YES
|Has header "stdio_ext.h": YES
|Has header "strings.h": YES
|Has header "string.h": YES
|Has header "sys/param.h": YES
|Has header "sys/poll.h": YES
|Has header "sys/prctl.h": YES
|Has header "sys/socket.h": YES
|Has header "sys/stat.h": YES
|Has header "sys/times.h": YES
|Has header "sys/time.h": YES
|Has header "sys/types.h": YES
|Has header "sys/utsname.h": YES
|Has header "sys/wait.h": YES
|Has header "ucontext.h": YES
|Has header "unistd.h": YES
|Has header "valgrind/valgrind.h": NO
|Has header "sys/resource.h": YES
|Checking whether type "struct tm" has member "tm_gmtoff" : YES
|Checking for function "gmtime_r" : YES
|Checking for function "sigaction" : YES
|Checking for function "getrusage" : YES
|Checking for function "fseeko" : YES
|Checking for function "ftello" : YES
|Checking for function "poll" : YES
|Checking for function "ppoll" : YES
|Checking for function "pselect" : YES
|Checking for function "getpagesize" : YES
|Checking for function "clock_gettime" : YES
|Checking for function "getline" : YES
|Checking for function "mkstemp" : YES
|Checking for function "alarm" : YES
|Checking for function "gettimeofday" : YES
|Checking for function "localtime_r" : YES
|Checking if "pthread_setname_np(const char*)" links: NO
|Checking if "posix timers from time.h" compiles: YES
|Checking if "monotonic clock from time.h" compiles: YES
|Checking if "__uint128_t available" compiles: YES
|Checking for function "getpid" : YES
|Checking for function "strdup" : YES
|Checking for function "strsignal" : YES
|Checking for type "clockid_t" : YES
|Checking for type "timer_t" : YES
|Checking whether type "struct timespec" has members "tv_sec", "tv_nsec" :
YES
|Checking whether type "struct itimerspec" has members "it_interval",
"it_value" : YES
|Dependency libunwind found: NO
|Dependency libdw found: NO
|Checking for function "backtrace" : YES
|Has header "execinfo.h": YES
|Checking for function "backtrace" : YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-declarations: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-prototypes: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wredundant-decls: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wundef: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wwrite-strings: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wformat: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wformat-nonliteral: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wformat-security: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wold-style-definition: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Winit-self: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wmissing-include-dirs: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Waddress: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Waggregate-return: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wno-multichar -Wmultichar: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wnested-externs: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wdeclaration-after-statement: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wvla: YES
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wpointer-arith: YES
|Library gmp found: NO
|Library gsl found: NO
|Library gslcblas found: NO
|Library dl found: YES
|Checking for function "dladdr" : YES
|Native dependency glib-2.0 found: YES 2.56.1
|Native dependency gobject-2.0 found: YES 2.56.1
|Native dependency gmodule-2.0 found: YES 2.56.1
|Native dependency gio-2.0 found: YES 2.56.1
|Native dependency gio-unix-2.0 found: YES 2.56.1
|Library m found: YES
|Library rt found: YES
|Program g-ir-scanner found: YES (/usr/bin/g-ir-scanner)
|Program glib-mkenums found: YES (/usr/bin/glib-mkenums)
|Native dependency bash-completion found: YES 2.8
|Program pkg-config found: YES (/usr/bin/pkg-config)
|Configuring gstconfig.h using configuration
|Configuring gstversion.h using configuration
|Program flex found: YES (/usr/bin/flex)
|Message: flex version 2.6.4 >= 2.5.31: YES
|Configuring gen_lex.py using configuration
|Program bison found: YES (/usr/bin/bison)
|Message: bison version 3.0.4 >= 2.4: YES
|Configuring gen_grammar.py using configuration
|Compiler for C supports arguments -Wno-format-nonliteral
-Wformat-nonliteral: YES
|Checking if "long long" compiles: YES
|Checking if "uintmax_t in inttypes.h" compiles: YES
|Checking if "uintmax_t in stdint.h" compiles: YES

subprojects/gstreamer/gst/meson.build:272:4: ERROR:  gobject-introspection
dependency was not found, gir cannot be generated.

But I just installed the gobject-introspection package.

I made sure to close the terminal and re-open it (in case I needed some new
environment variables from the package install) but it didn't help.