gst-build 1.14 on Ubuntu 16.04 isn't working for me

David Ing ding at panopto.com
Wed Aug 22 23:42:50 UTC 2018

That was a good suggestion Carl but it didn't work.  I still get:

subprojects/gstreamer/gst/meson.build:272:4: ERROR:  gobject-introspection
dependency was not found, gir cannot be generated.

This time around I did not need to copy stuff around the `subprojects`
folder.  Presumably, the libraries that I installed (in the instructions
below) got me around that part.'

BTW:  This markdown represents everything that I have done on my machine
(starting from a brand new Linux system).

# Linux Mint Cinnamon Tara
Starting from a fresh install.

## Edit `~/.bashrc`
Put this at the bottom of the file.
```
# This is where pip3 installs `--user` executables (such as meson)
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin
```

Restart the terminal.

## Install stuff
```
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --yes git python-pip python3-pip ninja-build
build-essential snapd slack libmount-dev libselinux-dev
gobject-introspection libglib2.0-dev
pip3 install setuptools wheel
pip3 install --user meson
```

## Clone and run `gst-build`

```
mkdir -p ~/github/gstreamer
cd ~/github/gstreamer
git clone https://github.com/GStreamer/gst-build.git -b 1.14
cd gst-build
mkdir build

# the following command fails:
meson build

# the following command is never executed because the prior command failed.
ninja -c build/
```