hook up new device as src, uri, or something else ?

George and Candy Koharchik t1mbre at tx.rr.com
Thu Aug 23 00:17:01 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

  I'm looking for some suggestions for hooking up a new device. I'm on linux
running version 1.10, but 1.14 is okay too.

  The device delivers YUV pixels to memory. I can grab them from  memory
mapped buffers. I'd like to plug them into the gstreamer software, but I'm
not sure where.

  I started with the source for videotestsrc, but I need something more than
just a handful of colors. Next I thought v4l2src, but I don't need something
that does all the v4l2 driver protocol. Something closer to filesrc, but
live, non-seekable. I just need to grab pixels from memory (that memory
mapped buffer), and put them out as video. I tried
gst-plugins-bad/tools/gst-element-maker with a couple of the entries in
element-templates, but got confusing results. I think I want something that
generates output like videotestsrc does.   Using "gst-element-maker mytest
video-encoder" looks promising, but the example launch line generated shows
"fakesrc ! mytest ! ." . I don't think I want something pushing buffers in.
Or do I need to write a uri that tells the rest of the infrastructure how to
talk to the memory mapped buffers instead?

Thanks,

blueshirt