Raspberry pi videowall using gstreamer - questions stability GstNet and how to debug

reinzor reinzor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:09:35 UTC 2018

Hi All,

Use case:

I recently started a new project: building a video wall using a farm of
Raspberry Pi zero's using gstreamer:

https://github.com/reinzor/videowall

The application is a server / client system and the principle is as follows:

The server provides the net time using the NetTimeProvider of the GstNet
library and sends meta-information (filenames, base_time, etc) via multicast
to all the clients. The clients have a NetClientClock as clock provider for
their own pipelines. The principle works and I am able to play videos
synchronously over the network where I use my laptop as a server and several
Raspberry pi zeros as clients.

Problem:

However, sometimes, the client players do not start playing. This occurs
once every 5 times or so. When I send a request for a new video with an
update base time, it mostly works again.

Question:

- Is there a way I can obtain more information why the client players are
not starting? (I am already setting GST_DEBUG=1)
- The players are wrapped in a GTK window
(https://github.com/reinzor/videowall/blob/master/src/videowall/players/player.py#L102)
and the GTK loop is handling the Glib events in a separate thread
(https://github.com/reinzor/videowall/blob/master/src/videowall/players/player.py#L56),
is this the right way to do it?
- On every new play request, I am re-creating the total pipeline because
changing the location property of the filesrc seem to be very unstable. What
is the recommended way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Rein