Gstreamer VAAPI plugins don't run on Nvidia GTX 1080

skyline220 blinkrules0182 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 18:57:22 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I have installed vdpau with the hopes of enabling the G-streamer VAAPI based
plugins on my graphics card. When I type in vainfo in the terminal I get:

vainfo

libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API -
0.7.4
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG4Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Baseline           :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD

I then installed gstreamer1.0-vaapi plugins however when I go to run a
pipeline with a vaapi plugin, for example:

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 do-timestamp=true !
video/x-raw,format=I420,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=60/1 ! vaapijpegenc
! rtpjpegpay ! multiudpsink clients=192.168.0.15

I get:

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Got context from element 'vaapiencodejpeg0': gst.vaapi.Display=context,
gst.vaapi.Display=(GstVaapiDisplay)NULL;
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src0: Internal
data flow error.
Additional debug info:
gstbasesrc.c(2948): gst_base_src_loop ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src0:
streaming task paused, reason not-negotiated (-4)
Execution ended after 0:00:00.478047083
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

When I run this same pipeline with jpegenc the software encoder instead of
vaapijpegenc it runs fine. How can I fix this? I would like to be able to
use the G-Streamer VAAPI plugins.