gstreamer-devel Digest, Vol 95, Issue 16

David Ing ding at panopto.com
Thu Dec 13 14:47:41 UTC 2018

The caps is a structure which defines the properties of data flowing out of
the element on a src pad (in this case).  It is not a property of the
element itself.  ANY means that these caps are unrestricted for the
element, so you can make any caps structure at runtime and use it to
describe the data coming from a src pad on your GstAppSrc.  You can even
follow standard conventions for video/* caps and put height snd width into
the caps structure.

A GObject property is just a property of the element itself.  It is not
directly related to any caps unless the element's programmer defines the
property and a  relationship to the caps.  In this case that has not been
done.