ATSC Closed Captioning

mccrobie2000 mccrobie2000 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 06:18:36 UTC 2018

I finally got my gst pipeline up and running for dvbsrc + video / audio /
captioning.  However, I've noticed both mpegvideoparse and avdec_mpeg2video
will add captioning data to the pipeline, resulting in double captions per
frame.

I've recompiled mpegvideoparse to exclude it's adding of caption data, but
am wondering if anyone else encountered the issue?  Perhaps I have something
wrong in my pipeline - see below.  If it can be optimized, I would
appreciate it.

I also have a pipeline for decklinkvideosrc closed captioning, which of
course, does not result in double captions per frame.

My background is captioning software, so I quite familiar with cc_data and
CDP, frame rates, etc.  I am new to gstreamer.

compiled from git
gst-launch-1.0 version 1.15.0
GStreamer 1.15.0 (GIT)
Unknown package origin

/opt/gstreamer/bin/gst-launch-1.0 -v \
dvbsrc frequency=531000000 modulation="QAM 256" delsys=atsc ! queue ! \
                tsparse ! tsdemux program-number=1006 name=demux \
        demux. ! queue ! video/mpeg ! mpegvideoparse ! avdec_mpeg2video !
tee name=dvideo ! videobin. \
        demux. ! queue ! audio/x-ac3  ! ac3parse ! avdec_ac3 ! queue !
audioconvert ! audio/x-raw,rate=48000,format=F32LE,channels=2 ! \
                audioresample ! pulsesink \
        dvideo. ! queue ! video/x-raw ! ccextractor !
closedcaption/x-cea-708,format=cc_data ! tee name=cdp ! \
                  queue ! cc708overlay name=videobin font-desc="DejaVu Sans
12" ! queue ! video/x-raw ! autovideosink \
        cdp. ! queue ! zmqsink endpoint=tcp://*:5557 bind=true