memory leak generated by audiotestsrc

Charlie Laub charleslaub at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 7 00:33:08 UTC 2018

I have been doing some pipeline debugging and testing using gst-launch. I
noticed that my gst-launch process was increasing its footprint by about 1
MB PER SECOND! I only spotted this initially when I was hearing some
glitches in the audio (the pipeline is processing audio). I looked at my
resource usage and noticed that all of the physical memory on the machine
was being used. I killed the gstreamer process, restarted it, and looked at
resource usage for all processes running on my system. That's when the
memory leak rate became very apparent.

My pipeline, which I will not bother to reproduce here, uses two
audiotestsrc elements. After some experimentation, I found that when I
removed these and instead sourced the data from an existing input via a tee
the memory leak completely disappeared.

To give you some idea of the scope of the memory leak, the memory used by
the process with the audiotestsrc elements removed is only 5.5 MB. The
memory leak rate is ONE MB PER SECOND! Something is seriously wrong.

Gstreamer developers: check into this, s'il vous plait?

.