problem with Windows Device Driver Kit for Visual Studio 2015

Romeo romeomartens at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 13:57:27 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to built the tutorials for Visual Studio.
I always get the same error message:
Error	LNK1104	cannot open file 'msvcrt_winxp.obj'	basic-tutorial-1
C:\gstreamer\1.0\x86\share\vs\2010\vs2010\basic-tutorial-1\LINK

I've found that there is a problem with dependency with the Visual Studio
runtime as explained here
(https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/installing/on-windows.html).
So I downloaded the Windows Device Driver Kit for VS 2015: version 8.1.
There was still a problem with the WinDDK standard path, as explained here:
/If you did not install the WinDDK to the standard path
C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1, you will need to tell Visual Studio where it is.
Unfortunately, there is no automated way to do this. Once you have added the
x86.props or x86_64.props to your project, go to the Property Manager,
expand your project and its subfolders until you find the property sheet
called config. Double click to edit it, and select the section called “User
Macros” in the list on the left. You should see a macro called
WINDOWS_DRIVER_KIT. Double click to edit it, and set its value to the root
folder where you installed the DDK. This is the folder containing a file
called samples.txt.

That's it. Accept the changes, right click on the config property sheet and
select “Save”. The path to the DDK is now stored in config.props and you do
not need to perform this operation anymore.
/

But there is no folder containing a file called samples.txt. When I looked
at the msvcrt.props, I found that it tries to look in these folders:
$(WINDOWS_DRIVER_KIT)\inc\atl71\ and $(WINDOWS_DRIVER_KIT)\inc\crt\
but the atl71 folder doesn't exist.
I don't know what I can do about this. Has anyone had the same problem and
found a solution, or has someone another way to built and run the tutorials
in Visual Studio 2015?

Thanks,

Romeo