alsasink underrun recovery issue in a synchronized streaming usecase

danny.smith danny.smith at axis.com
Sat Feb 24 07:55:38 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I am using scenario where we stream synchronized audio from one sender to
multiple receivers using the approach outlined in the 2015 Gstreamer
conference in Dublin by Sebastian Dröge (Synchronised multi-room media
playback and distributed live media processing and mixing).

I have set up my latencies towards a more "low-latency" usecase and it works
fine.

When I stress my receivers by doing other stuff on the same platform I get
alsasink underruns which are expected due to small buffers and period times
but not a problem for my usecase. However, quite often the pipeline does not
recover correctly from these underruns. Audio can disappear completely,
sometimes it comes back a while later. It can also become distorted.

We are using gstreamer 1.10.4 and kernel 4.x. Any ideas or hints on what
might be causing this? The pipeline seems to be running fine.

Regards,
Danny