HDR video support in GStreamer

Samuel Hurst samuelh at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 16:22:39 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I'm starting to look into support for High Dynamic Range video in
commercial hardware and software implementations. I'm wondering if
anyone has any experience with using one or more of Hybrid Log Gamma[1],
Dolby Vision[2] or HDR10 with GStreamer?

I'm assuming that the GStreamer framework is fairly detached from the
colour information passing through it, but I'm more interested in what
the individual elements are able to do with it. The BBC has
previously[3] added support for Hybrid Log Gamma to ffmpeg, so
presumably if the ffmpeg decoder element is chosen in a pipeline, that
should work.

However, I don't know if support is available in other decoders such as
the VA-API ones, or if any of the video sinks (such as glimagesink) will
support the signalling required to pass down HDR information to the display.

I've tried a quick search for any information I can find relating to
GStreamer and any of the standards listed above, and come up a bit
short, so I'd really appreciate any insight you might have.

Many thanks,
-Sam

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range
[2]