VAAPI + clutter

horai ivo.hora at seznam.cz
Wed Jan 10 09:22:13 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I am developing an application to visualize multiple streams. I have 4
GtkWidgets  (grid of 4 GtkWidgets) displaying 4 video streams, upon click I
want to maximize selected window and upon another click minimize back to 4
Widget view.

I am developing it using Clutter-gtk and clutter-gst. It works the way I
want in Clutter-gst-2.0, but I want to port it to clutter-gst-3.0 and
utilize VAAPI hardware acceleration.
The application works and it renders video to 4 Widgets upon start,
unfortunately, upon click to get back to 4 grid view, the application
crashes.
But when supplying this pipeline with avdec_h264 encoder instead of
vaapih264dec, it runs perfectly:
    gst_bin_add_many(GST_BIN(pipeline), videodepay, videoparse, videodec,
videoconv, sink, NULL);

Initially using vaapih264dec, the application quit with error:
libGL error: failed to create drawable
After supplying "intel" driver to xorg.conf, I no more experience this
error, but the application still scrashes.
I am running latest Debian with Gstreamer version 1.10.4-1 which should
support VAAPI.

There is also another way of rendering the video together with use of GTK
and it is the OVERLAY approach which I was writing initially, it works but I
wanted to take advantage of OpenGL clutter rendering because of my other
applications written the same way.

Thank you very much
Best regards,
Ivo