AW: How to get HW decoder singleton(playbin2 or playbin3)?

Juergen Sachs juergen.sachs at metz-ce.de
Tue Jul 3 09:33:17 UTC 2018

Hallo Marie,
I absolutely agree, that the resource handling _should_ be done in the
NULL<->READY transitions. But this is the theory... In _reality_ we found a
lot of implementations (browser backends and other media playback systems)
that hold multiple (i.e. video) sinks in READY state simultaneously (i.e.
one sink for each codec). But only one sink at a time is in PAUSED and above
(*)
So we have decided to aquire the hardware in the READY->PAUSED. This is the
only way to handle this for us.

(*) Indeed we found implemenattions that have multiple sinks in PAUSED and
have only one of them in foreground, but this cannot be handled in sink and
must be fixed in upper layer.