Generating MP4 from HLS stream

gugovind gxguru at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 17:15:48 UTC 2018

After a lot of debugging, I found the issue with my pipeline. I had to use
voaacenc encoder instead of avenc_aac encoder

voaacenc is not installed by default in gst-plugins-bad for mac. I so I had
to use

brew reinstall gst-plugins-bad --with-libvo-aacenc

The following pipeline worked well with my application.

gst-launch-1.0 --gst-debug=3 mp4mux name=mux ! \
 filesink location=xxxx.mp4 souphttpsrc location=<hls url> ! decodebin
name=decode  ! \
 videoconvert ! videorate ! video/x-raw, framerate=50/1 ! queue ! x264enc !
mux. decode. ! \
 audioconvert ! voaacenc ! mux.
Also in my HLS stream video segments some had 50FPS and some had 59.97FPS.
So I used a videorate to default to 50. This might need to change depending
on your segments