How to encode a partial video by using "encodebin"?

Victor vgdoqd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:22:33 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

How to re-encode a partial video by using "encodebin"? The last time I
tried, the "encodebin" element encoded the whole video stream, and it
did not help if `gst_element_seek_simple` to the position I wanted to
start extracting from. Yes, it was dumb I knew. Just tried and wished to
be lucky. Anyway, there must be something missing. What objects shall be
modified before they arrive at "encodebin", the buffers, events or
queries? It obviously is doable to re-encode a partial video file and
save to a new one, because that is what GES is doing, to re-encode only
a part of a whole. I tend not to use GES, because sometimes prefer
extracting videos without re-encoding, and it seems inevitable for GES
to re-encode the clip. So, what data shall be modified before they flow
into the "encodebin" element? Thanks.

Victor