Loss of interleaved stereo audio after ~20 Minutes

virtually_me at claub.net virtually_me at claub.net
Tue Jun 5 16:01:26 UTC 2018

I have been experiencing a similar problem. I am sending raw audio (no video) via RTP in UDP packets, and using an rtpjitterbuffer on the RX machine. The audio would just abruptly cease at random times, sometimes after many hours or sometimes after only 10 minutes. After seeing this email I increased the latency of the audiointerleave elements I am using in both the TX and RX pipelines (with UPD inbetween them) but this did not at all solve the problem. Then last night I also increased the latency of the rtpjitterbuffer to 500msec (it was previously about 100-150msec) and left the system streaming overnight. This morning, and in the ensuing few hours, the audio is perfect. For me it looks like it was the rtpjitterbuffer causing the problem. Likely the audiointerleave latencies are not responsible, but I haven't dialed them back yet to check. I didn't look for any errors produced so this may not be all that useful for others except as a hint. I assume that the rtpjitterbuffer should gracefully recover even in the event of starving or blocking conditions, but perhaps not.