Raw input->JPEGENC - starts out at 50% CPU, slowly goes up to 100% and starts dropping frames

chazz charles.ervin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 17:35:45 UTC 2018

Debian 8.6, gstreamer 1.4.4. I know it's not the newest, and I can upgrade if
necessary.

Using the pipeline:

gst-launch-1.0 -e v4l2src device=/dev/video0 !
video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080,framerate=30/1 ! queue ! jpegenc
quality=95 ! multifilesink location=./tmp/frame%010d.jpg

Input is a magwell USB HDMI capture device.

I normally get CPU usage of about 50% and get roughly 100% of the frames,
writing to a tmpfs location. I analyze some of the JPEGs and throw most out.
After running for about 2 days, the CPU usage of the gstreamer process
creeps up to 100% and it starts dropping about 50% of the frames.

It didn't seem to have a serious memory leak. Any ideas what might be
causing the problem? Also is there any way to speed up this pipeline in
general but achieve the same results?