gtkglsink and gtksink

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Thu Jun 7 15:25:58 UTC 2018

Le jeudi 07 juin 2018 à 15:24 +0100, Russel Winder a écrit :
> The context is using a playbin using a gtkglsink or gtksink so as to allow for
> overlay in a GTK+3 UI.
>
> Creating instances of gtkglsink depends only on the appropriate software being
> installed.  But it might still not work, it is only when getting the playbin
> to process a stream is it discovered whether the gtkglsink will initialise –
> which apparently it won't on a Lenovo ThinkPad T500, presumably because of the
> dual graphics system.
>
> Is there a way of knowing, or discovering, whether a gtkglsink will work
> though it can be created? So as to avoid handling things when the playbin
> starts?
>
> Has anyone got a URL to a code that handles gtkglsink startup failure and
> replace the gtkglsink with a gtksink and restart the playbin?

I don't, but I guess this could be an option. Just check the element
emitting the error (checking GST_MESSAGE_SRC(msg) or
GST_MESSAGE_SRC_NAME(msg)). What I would likely want to try, is to take
the sink, and set it's state to READY, normally it should be
sufficient, but because of GL is probably a bit complex. There is no
reason if GL works on your system with dual graphics for GStreamer GL
to fail, that seems like a bug.