NVDEC and 10-bit HEVC decode

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Mon Jun 18 17:36:47 UTC 2018

Le lundi 18 juin 2018 à 18:08 +0100, Samuel Hurst a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I find myself experimenting with hardware accelerated HEVC decoding
> under GStreamer, and I'm trying to use the nvdec plugin from plugins-bad.
>
> When playing 8-bit HEVC content, playback is fine. However, when I try
> playing back 10-bit HEVC content, it comes out as a garbled green mess
> as shown in the screenshots in this Dropbox folder:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/07wzec9lcj689tl/AADo8JuZDNXqCfkYktCcZmEJa?dl=0
>
> I don't see anything in the log that immediately strikes me as why it's
> not decoding properly (also in the Dropbox link). There's the WARN line
> where it's moaning about CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE but it does this for
> the 8-bit streams as well and they work fine.
>
> The public DASH MPDs I'm using to test with are available here:
>
> 8-bit:
> http://testassets.dashif.org/#testvector/details/586fb3879ae9045678eacd3c
>
> 10-bit:
> http://testassets.dashif.org/#testvector/details/586fb3879ae9045678eacd3f
>
> If anyone has any ideas about what's going wrong, I'd love to hear from you.
>
> For reference, I've tried running on the NVidia 390.48, 390.59 and
> 396.26 drivers, as well as on CUDA 9.1 and 9.2 and it's broken across
> the board. I'm using a GT 1030 GPU on a Fedora 28 install, but it's also
> broken on Debian 9. It works fine when I use the libav software decoder,
> but that makes my CPU cry.

When I look at this decoder, I see no code to support 10bit decoding.
This suggests that it outputs 10bit as if it was 8bit NV12. Please file
a bug, the decoder should fail, or support this, right now it is
incorrect.

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer,component=gst-plugins-bad