Optimizing libpng plugins

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Jun 22 21:56:41 UTC 2018

Le ven. 22 juin 2018 16:41, Jordan Longstaff <jrdnlngstff at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi,
>

> As I understand, the pngdec and pngenc plugins are built on libpng, which
> is a PNG encoding/decoding library that can support ARM NEON processors and
> has features for things like multithreading. How can I use the most of
> libpng’s features to optimize performance? Are there options that I can set
> to specify what libpng can do to run as fast as possible?

Just as for every optimization work, first step is to establish a bench
mark, could be as simple as a gst-launch command. Then, you can use various
tools, like perf, the Linux kernel profiler to identify the biggest CPU
consumer. Finally, looking at libpng API and the plugin implementation in
GStreamer, try to identify changes you could make, and test them, to see if
you get better performance, or if another bottleneck need to be addressed.