IMX6 : Video streaming over serial port using Gstreamer and H264 encoder

vk_gst venkateshkuppan26 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 10:55:58 UTC 2018

Hi James,

Thanks for your answer.

1. I do not think the IO is stalled, because at the PC side, the terminal
keeps running without any error messages. The below is the output of
terminal at the PC side:

root at linux-GP60-2PE:/home/linux# gst-launch-1.0 -v  filesrc
location=/dev/ttyUSB0 ! $CAPS  ! h264parse  ! avdec_h264 ! autovideosink
silent=false
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstCapsFilter:capsfilter0.GstPad:src: caps =
video/x-h264, width=(int)100, height=(int)50, framerate=(fraction)10/1
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstH264Parse:h264parse0.GstPad:sink: caps =
video/x-h264, width=(int)100, height=(int)50, framerate=(fraction)10/1

2. Before beginning this test, I have connected the serial devices via
HyperTerminal in window and tested by sending and receiving some random
bytes of data. It worked fine. However, I did not do any binary comparison
of the data received

3. I resolved the caps negotiation error with the following:
CAPS=video/x-h264,width=100,height=50,framerate=10/1

The output now is as shown in the point 1. There is no pop-up window that
displays the video received on the PC.

Do you have any more suggestions on to see whats going on behind the
commands? ;)
Also what other approach can I try to get GStreamer display the video?

Regards.