alsasink underrun recovery issue in a synchronized streaming

Charlie Laub charleslaub at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 1 16:19:21 UTC 2018

Hi Danny,

I want to correct my earlier post about problems with the "audio" elements. I figured out the source of the problem: it was due to audiointerleave. This element has a property "latency" which defaults to zero. The description of the audiointerleave property is:
Additional latency in live mode to allow upstream to take longer to produce buffers for the current position (in nanoseconds)
Flags : Read / Write
Default value : 0

This was creating an intermittent problem with my pipelines. Sometimes no latency is needed, and the pipeline would function properly. Other times the streams being interleaved were not totally synchronized, so some latency was needed to buffer one or more of them until all can be interleaved in sync.

Unfortunately, I did not even realize that audiointerleave had the latency property. This is because the documentation for audiointerleave at gstreamer.freedesktop.org doesn't mention it. Only after I recently discovered documentation at thiblahute.github.io was I able to know about it.
Here is a link to that site:
https://thiblahute.github.io/GStreamer-doc/plugins_doc.html?gi-language=c

I looked at the Bugzilla link you provided in another reply. It mentions pipelines running alsasrc or updsrc stop working after a few hours. I have not experienced this over many hundreds of hours of rtp streaming over udp with my gstreamer based system.

-Charlie